Monday, October 4, 2010

Jewelry Christmas Trees

Do you remember those Jewelry Christmas Trees that people would make out of vintage jewelry?  maybe your Grandma or Aunt made your family one as a gift?  Well these days instead of finding them adorning walls during Christmas time, I am finding them at garage sales and second hand shops.

LUCKY ME!!!

I have been buying them and carefully removing all of the beautiful jewelry to upcycle!  It's not that easy of a job, really.  First I have to pry off the jewelry that is usable to me without breaking it.  Then I have to pick off the glue that is stuck to the backs of the jewelry.  After that I need to clean each piece in a special solution that I developed that makes each piece sparkle and brings it back to life again.  Is it all worth it?...well, it is to me!  What is one person's trash is another person's treasure!

I wish I could go to every house in Hutchinson and search the attics, basements, and garages for these Jewelry Christmas Trees and save them from the doom of dirt and dust.  Until then, I will keep scouring garage sales and second hand stores.

Here are a few photos that I took yesterday while I worked on a couple of them.

This is a photo of a tree that I hadn't taken apart yet

This is a tree that I already took the pieces that I wanted

Here is a close up photo of part of a tree

Here are some of the jewelry pieces from the trees before cleaning them

Visit my ArtFire Studio wingsofflutter to see what I make from these rescued pieces of jewelry!

No comments:

Post a Comment